Monday, February 13, 2012

Buddy taught me about BUTTER!!

I learned a new "trick" with butter!  The last batch of cupcakes I baked were amazing.  I understand what Buddy means when he descibes his cupcakes as fluffy.  Mine were the best texture I have ever had in a cake, was it the cake flour or the new mixer?  Not sure but I do want to make them like this again.  When people tasted my cupcakes they all said, "Yummm the buttercream is lemony" What did I put into the cake to make it lemony? Nothing!  I made the Vanilla cake recipe on page 296 and the buttercream frosting from page 312. There is nothing like lemon in the cake or the frosting. 

I decided to read the beginning of the book again.  This is where Buddy taught me about BUTTER!! He even told me things my GRANDMA BETTY doesn't know about (butter!).  He has a section in the book called Notes on Ingredients.  It talks about a lot of things but I want to talk about butter.  Buddy teaches, "butter is a sponge for other flavors in your refrigerator" p. 23.  My mom stores the butter above the crisper and she buys a lot of it so she had 8 packs of 4 sticks stored up there.  Under it she had a bunch of lemons.  She had 12 lemons in the crisper. 


I think the butter absorbed the lemon flavor.  It was very light and yummy.  Will have to try to do this again when I substitue the veg oil in the cake for coconut oil.  (the coconut oil gives the cake a great taste and it is still fluffy!! This is how I did my Mom's birthday cake!  It might be really good with a coconut oil in the cake and this lemon-butter flavor in the frosting...

Buddy says in his book, "bakers keep a notebook full of hard-won baking wisdom--" (page 8).  I think I am keeping a book, this online blog.  I might have to keep some of my secrets but this butter secret was too big to share!!

Readers (if you're out there...), have you ever flavored your butter?  Tell me about it (you can comment under this post!)

XOXO Mya

1 comment:

Unknown said...

This is a great trick, and I'm so glad that you shared it. I was wondering if you'd like to come over to LifeWithLissy.com and share a guest post with me sometime. :)