Wednesday, December 28, 2011

Carrot Cake and Cupcakes

Now it is time to try to decorate a carrot cake.  Buddy says in his book, "Baking with the Cake Boss" that when you start with 24 cupcakes you have 24 opportunities to practice.  Izzy and I needed the practice!  We decided to decorate the cupcakes as practice and then feed them to our brothers (we each have two older ones!) That will allow us to practice for our masterpiece the cake!  We made both the two 9-inch cakes and 24 cupcakes.  That will be a tasty practice!!


First we made decorator's buttercream on page 154 and we changed some of it to green and the rest to yellow.  I used my GREAT Grandmother's mixer.  We didn't have a paddle attachment.  The mixer is very old and it might be from the 1950's or 60's so we had to make it work.  I think my Great Grandmother would have been proud that I used her mixer to make my buttercream. 


When the icing was made and the cake cooled.  My Mom cut the top off the cake, Buddy tells us how to do this on page 170 and 171.  She didn't freeze the cake, Buddy said if you freeze the cake then the moisture is locked inside the cake. 

She cut the top off and then used the tip #10 to pipe on the Vanilla Frosting we made from page 312.  It is the BEST frosting I have ever eaten!  Izzy and I wanted to eat it all!  Mom said we had to wait!!  It is a buttery taste and we made it using the water as suggested.  If we added milk it would be creamier.  That might be next time.  I wanted to make the Italian Buttercream but Mom said we had to master the Vanilla first!!
Here is a picture when I added the green coloring to this Vanilla Frosting.

DECORATING
This is the fun part! First we had to pipe around the cupcakes with a #10 tip this was the green vanilla frosting.
Then we added the yellow petal leaves.  We did have trouble with which tip to use.  We wanted to make the Sunflower cupcake.  The problem is that we realized we didn't have the #70 leaf tip and what we had made a mess! We moved on to the puff flower cupcakes in the color of the sunflower and then it was more successful!


Adding the petals to the cupcakes!

We added chocolate chips to make the centers...


Here I am adding my flower "dots" to the bottom of the cake!  This was the easiest part, for me!!

The finished masterpieces!! The two pies, 24 carrot cupcakes with sunflowers and then the carrot cake with decorations!! 

XOXO,
Mya


No comments: